Solid Waste Collection
Garbage and rubbish is collected on a weekly basis for single family, two family, three and four family residential properties in the City of Canandaigua. Recycling and yard waste are collected every other week. See current Solid Waste Collection Schedule posted on this page.
Weekly Collection Schedule
- Monday: Ward 4 (Northwest) Including West Avenue (Both Sides)
- Tuesday: Ward 3 (Southwest)
- Wednesday: Ward 1 (Northeast)
- Thursday: Ward 2 (Southeast) Including Gibson Street (Both Sides)
Don't know what Ward you live in? See the Map of City Wards (PDF).
If your regularly scheduled collection day falls on or follows the day of the below listed holidays, refuse will be collected one day later that week. For example, if Monday is your regularly scheduled collection day, refuse would be collected on Tuesday, Tuesday pickup would be on Wednesday, etc. An exception to this rule is Thanksgiving week, when both Wards 1 and 2 are collected on the Wednesday before Thanksgiving.
- New Year's Day - January 1
- Martin Luther King Jr. Day - January 17
- Memorial Day - May 30
- 4th of July - July 4
- Labor Day - September 5
- Columbus Day - October 10
- Veterans Day - November 11
- Thanksgiving Day - November 24
- Friday after Thanksgiving - November 25
- Christmas Day - December 25
Garbage & Rubbish
- Total capacity of can or receptacle shall not exceed 39 gallons and total filled weight shall not exceed 45 pounds.
- Must be placed at curbside. Qualified individuals with a disability who feel they are unable to place solid waste at curbside should call the Department of Public Works 585-396-5060 for a Waiver Application (PDF).
- Garbage and rubbish must be placed in heavyweight, transparent plastic bags.
- Recyclables must be placed in an approved recycle box (clearly marked recyclables) or toter and set apart from the garbage and rubbish.
- Improperly bagged or prepared solid waste of any kind that is frozen or infested with insects will not be collected.
- Solid waste should be placed at the curb no earlier than 6 pm the day prior to collection and no later than 6 am the day of collection.
- Items such as discarded furniture, rugs, building material, appliances and other miscellaneous debris cannot be collected. City residents have the option to dispose of non-collectable items (for a nominal fee) at the Town of Canandaigua Transfer Station. Details of this program can be obtained by calling the Department of Public Works (DPW) Office at 396-5060
- No waste generated from a business will be collected
- No tires will be collected
Garden & Yard Waste
- From March to December, yard waste is collected every other week (opposite recycling)
- We do not pickup yard waste in January and February
- Garden and yard waste shall be placed loose in a trash can or brown paper leaf bag, not to exceed 45 pounds. Do not co-mingle yard waste with trash
- Tree limbs must be tied in bundles, not to exceed 5 feet in length or 45 pounds in weight with cut ends placed together
- Do not rake, sweep or place yard waste of any kind into the street pavement or gutters
Fall Leaf Collection
Leaves will be picked up loose at the curbside only during the fall leaf collection program, which occurs November and is posted on the City's website.
Christmas Tree Collection
Christmas trees are collected annually during the first weeks of January. Trees may be left between the sidewalk and curb. Trees that are bagged or have any remaining decorations including lights, garland, tinsel, or ornaments will not be picked up. Greens and boughs must meet regular length and bundling requirements for brush pickup.