Marriage licenses are obtained by appointment only. For more information, please call 585-337-2169.
Visit New York State Department of Health website for full detailed information on getting married in New York State.
Once you have secured an appointment with the City of Canandaigua, please complete the form below.
- Both parties must be present to apply for the marriage license
- Both parties must be at least 18 years of age (if under the age of 18, a consent form must be signed and notarized by both parents of the individual who is under the age of 18. Visit the New York State Department of Health website for more information.
- Original birth certificates with a raised seal
- Photo identification (driver's license or a passport is acceptable)
- Social security number
- If previously married, original divorce degree(s) or original annulment papers signed by a judge must be presented for the last marriage ending in a divorce or annulment.
- If previously married and the spouse is now deceased, a certified copy of the death certificate must be presented.
The license must be applied for a minimum of 24 hours prior to the ceremony and is valid for 60 days. The fee is $40 and can be paid by cash, check or credit card (with a 3% fee). Please contact officiants for availability and rates.
One Day Marriage Officiant Registration
Individuals who wish to officiate a wedding in New York State may apply for a one-day marriage officiant's license.
All applicants must:
- Be over 18 years of age at the time of application.
- Submit a COMPLETE application. ALL fields must be completed (as per Section 11D of the Domestic Relations Law)
- Show or mail a valid picture ID - Driver's License, Passport, Work ID or Student ID
- Pay a non-refundable fee of $25.00 paid by cash, check or credit card (with a 3% fee) if applying in person.
- Pay a non-refundable fee of $25.00 through a money order made payable to the City of Canandaigua, if applying by mail.
- A marriage license for the couple getting married must be issued by this office prior to applying for a one-day marriage officiants license. We cannot issue a one-day marriage officiants license if the marriage license was issued by another town or city clerk.
- This license is valid only for the parties to be married as described in the marriage license and shall expire after the marriage ceremony or the expiration of the marriage license, whichever occurs first.