Public Works

The Public Works Department is responsible for the maintenance of streets and storm sewers and for snow removal. The City provides both water and sewer services. City crews pick up household waste (garbage, rubbish) at curbside weekly and recyclables and garden and yard waste at curbside biweekly.


Permits are required for all excavations within street rights-of-way or when desiring to place materials or vehicles on any street or sidewalk right-of-way. Permits are also required to connect to the City's sanitary sewer system. All utility placements shall be inspected by the City prior to any backfill.

For More Information contact James Sprague at 585-337-2143 or

Backflow Reports

Backflow reports can be emailed to or contact Mark Francese at 585-337-2153.

UDIG- NY- Dig Safely 811

NYS Law requires that anyone planning to perform any excavation work must contact UDIG-NY by dialing 811, at least 48 hours but no more than 10 working days (excluding weekends and legal holidays) before beginning any digging project.

It’s important to call before starting any type of work involving digging. Examples include:

  • Landscaping
  • Digging holes for fence posts or a mailbox
  • Anchoring supports for decks and swings sets
  • Planting trees
  • Removing tree roots
  • Driving landscaping stakes into the ground
  • Installing a retaining wall

Calling UDIG-NY is the only way to determine the exact location of a utility line or underground structure. By not calling, you risk:

  • Costly property or environmental damage
  • Explosion or fire on your property
  • Power or utilities services interruptions
  • Injury—or even death

Remember, even if your digging project is small, it’s always best to call!